How To How To Delete All Traces of OneDrive From Your PC

Alan

Administrator
OneDrive, some love it others dont, now this may sound strange but OneDrive has helped me recover files and documents that I thought were lost due to not backing up properly but I still dont like it at all and even more so when Microshit decided that they knew best and intregated it into Windows system and Microsoft Office thus making it hard to completely hide or remove.

First a Word of warning, this HowTo involves a few regeistry edits so either backup your registry or proceed with care. I will not be responsible if you edit the wrong keys.

If you havnt uninstalled OneDrive or you see the cloud Icon in the notification area, click on it select OneDrive Help then select Settings.
Click on the Account tab and select Unlink this PC and Close the OneDrive window.

Open the Settings App and click on Apps.

one1.png

Click on Installed Apps and scroll down to Microsoft OneDrive. Select Uninstall and it will uninstall it.

one2.png

(No screenshot as I have already uninstalled it).

Although OneDrive has been uninstalled you will find that your personal folders still refer to OneDrive and files get saved there such as Documents, Pictures etc etc. Dont try to move the folders or delete the OneDrive folder yet as it wont allow you to.

Now for the registry part.
Click on the WinKey + R to open a run box and type regedit then press OK,

one3.png

Accept the UAC warning and the registry will open. Click on HKEY_CURRENT_USER to expand it then expand Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer and finally click on User Shell Folders.

one4.png
one5.png
one6.png

In the right hand pane you will see a list of folder locations, starting at the top when ever you see the OneDrive folder you need to right click on its key and select Modify then delete the reference to the folder OneDrive. To try to explain this a bit better the screenshot that I have highlighted references C:\Users\alanw\Builder. If it had said C:\Users\alanw\OneDrive\Builder then right click on the locator to the left, in this instance it would be {339719B5-8C47-4894-94C2-D8F77ADD44A6} and select Modify.
You will see a small window with the location in it, delete JUST the \OneDrive wording so that instead of it pointing to C:\Users\alanw\OneDrive\Builder it only Points to C:\Users\alanw\Builder.

one7.png
one8.png
one9.png

Carefully go down the list editing every reference to OneDrive as you find them. Once done, Close the registry editor and restart your machine, this is only a precaution so that every edit is saved and your machine starts normally.

Now for part two of the registry edit which will clear the OneDrive service from taking over your Office apps.
Open the registry has described above (Winkey + R then type regedit and press OK).

Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\Internet by expanding every tree as explained above.

one10.png
one11.png

Click on Internet then right click on a free space in the right hand pane, select New then DWORD (32-bit) Value and name it OnlineStorage.

one12.png

Double click on the newly created Dword and change the value to 3.
Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\General (it is just two keys above Internet)

one13.png

Click on General and right click a free space in the right hand pane and create a new Dword (32bit) and call it SkipOpenAndSaveAsPlace and give it a value of 1
Do the same again and call the next Dword PreferCloudSaveLocations and give it a value of 0 (that is the default)
And finally create yet another Dword and give it a name of SkyDriveSignInOption and give it a value of 0

one14.png

Close the registry and reboot your machine and you should be free from OneDrive.
Open your Personal folder and if you see a OneDrive folder, delete it.

All Done!

Below is two registry keys that I created to deal with the second part of the reg tutorial, if you merge the two scripts into your registry they will remove the Office intregation. I cannot make a reg file for the first part as all our computers have different users.

Attachments

• RegKeys.zip
    658 bytes · Views: 0
Wow, a lot of work there. I will look at this later and see if I'm up to doing it.
I have a backup just in case :)

It looks more complicated than it actually is Ben, if you have already uninstalled OneDrive and you dont see the icon in the navigation area then its just the registry to do.

I will definitely give it a go. I don't like and don't need OneDrive, I don't need my data and everything
else being saved to the cloud, I have two backups, one on an internal drive and one on an external drive.

Back